Sister cities of Silverton, Devon
Silverton is a large village, about 8 miles (13 km) north of Exeter, in the English county of Devon. It is one of the oldest villages in Devon and dates from the first years of the Saxon occupation. In the year 2001, its population was 1,905. It has three pubs: The Lamb, The Three Tuns and the Silverton Inn.
The Church is dedicated to St Mary. It has a full set of bells which are rung regularly. Inside the pews have doors at the end of each row which is unusual in this area.
The village is on the "old" road from Exeter to Tiverton and as such was once a busy thriving place. Now it has become a dormitory for people working in Exeter although there are still a number of original families living in the village. A post office, a small supermarket (Spar), butcher's shop and a hairdresser offer most necessities for the residents.
The main feature of the village is the giant oak tree which is over 1000 years old.
The Bristol and Exeter Railway opened Silverton railway station in 1867 but it has since closed.
On the first Saturday of each August, the village holds a Street Market, which is popular among local people. There are stalls selling local goods and crafts, as well as entertainment and children's activities organised throughout the day, and the tug-of-war always ends the day on a high.
Silverton also has a football club, Silverton FC, who play in the Fresha Devon and Exeter Football League
Content on this page is licensed under CC-BY-SA from the authors of the following Wikipedia pages: List of twin towns and sister cities in the United Kingdom, Silverton, Devon. Note that the data on Wikipedia is highly unreliable. In many cases, sister cities are missing or wrongly listed. Some cities also have different levels of partnership. If you find an error, please make a correction on the relevant Wikipedia pages and cite your sources.